- "I did not survive four lousy husbands, a serial killer boyfriend and the sort of suicide of my love Terry, to die in the dingy basement of a fucking vampire bar."
- ―Arlene Bellefleur, to Holly, Jane, and Nicole[src]
Arlene Fowler Bellefleur was a major character on the HBO original series True Blood. Played by American guest starring actress Carrie Preston, Arlene makes her debut in the series' premiere episode, "Strange Love", in the series' first season. The current owner of Bellefleur's Bar and Grill, former home of Merlotte's, Arlene is friend to series' protagonist Sookie Stackhouse, and having been married five times, has three children, Coby, Lisa and Mikey. Married to Terry Bellefleur in the series' fourth season, and taking his surname as her married name, her marriage was abruptly halted due to Terry's untimely death in the series' sixth season. Playing a recurring role through the series' first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh seasons, Arlene was last seen in the series' finale episode, "Thank You", in the series' seventh, and final, season.
Arlene is a sassy Southern woman who sees herself as spunky; she says what she wants, sometimes disregarding others' feelings. Arlene is a fair-weather friend. Sookie finds herself working Arlene's shifts when she needs to leave early and takes care of her kids while she is at dates. Still, a lot of her flightiness at work is due to how much she worries about her children, and it is apparent time and time again that they are her whole world.
Arlene also proves to be a caring and loving individual. She is fiercely protective of her children, refusing to leave her burning house until she found them. While she has a good heart, she is often apt to resort to bigotry (directed at vampires) and openly disapproves of Sookie's relationship with Bill. Arlene often makes remarks that have distinctly racist undertones though this often appears to be unintentional. Despite her flaws, it is clear that she's capable of deep love and devotion, as seen in her relationships with Terry Bellefleur and her children.
Powers and Abilities
Arlene is a psychic medium. She has the ability to see the spirits of the deceased. As shown, when she was able to see the ghost of her deceased love Rene. Also, she was able to see the ghost of Mavis, an African-American woman after Mikey because she felt as if Mikey was her own son who was killed.
Her mediumship explains why Mikey can see ghost. Most likely, passed on to him by his mother.
The current extent of her powers are not fully shown. It is not known yet if she is a natural born Medium or not.
Arlene Fowler Bellefleur
- "Shit, I'm pregnant again."
- "You two wanna go trick or treating at the trailer park again getting bags of empty Coors cans and food stamps or do you want candy? Your choice."
- (to Coby): "No darlin' we're white. He's dead."
- (to Sookie, about Fangtasia): "Vampire bar wasn't all it was made out to be. I hear there are a lot of freaks and people from Arkansas."
- "Suppose she gets pregnant. How in the world can she nurse a baby with fangs?"
- (to Andy Bellefleur, on relationships): "And loyalty. You gotta know that person is going to be there for you through thick and thin. 'Cause you never know when some Iraqi ghost lady is gonna curse your entire family."
- Lafayette Reynolds: "Hey, you forgot your rings."
- Arlene Fowler Bellefleur: "Fuck my rings."
- Arlene Fowler Bellefleur: "I want you to promise me somethin', okay?"
- Sookie Stackhouse: "Okay."
- Arlene Fowler Bellefleur: "Someday, if I ever find another man, I want you to look inside his head and tell me everything that's in there."
- Sookie Stackhouse: "Uh... Arlene, it doesn't really work that way."
- Arlene Fowler Bellefleur: "Promise me, okay? Cause I have the worst taste in men."
- Although it has never been addressed directly, Arlene seems to possess qualities reminiscent of a medium, albeit one of far less power than Lafayette Reynolds. She was able to see the ghosts of René, Mavis and Zaafira. If she is a medium, even one of lesser power, this would explain Mikey's mediumship.
|Season one appearances|
|"Strange Love"||"The First Taste"||"Mine"||"Escape from Dragon House"|
|"Sparks Fly Out"||"Cold Ground"||"Burning House of Love"||"The Fourth Man in the Fire"|
|"Plaisir D'Amour"||"I Don't Wanna Know"||"To Love Is to Bury"||"You'll Be the Death of Me"|
|Season two appearances|
|"Nothing but the Blood"||"Keep This Party Going"||"Scratches"||"Shake and Fingerpop"|
|"Never Let Me Go"||"Hard-Hearted Hannah"||"Release Me"||"Timebomb"|
|"I Will Rise Up"||"New World in My View"||"Frenzy"||"Beyond Here Lies Nothin'"|
|Season three appearances|
|"Bad Blood"||"Beautifully Broken"||"It Hurts Me Too"||"9 Crimes"|
|"Trouble"||"I Got a Right to Sing the Blues"||"Hitting the Ground"||"Night on the Sun"|
|"Everything Is Broken"||"I Smell a Rat"||"Fresh Blood"||"Evil is Going On"|
|Season four appearances|
|"She's Not There"||"You Smell Like Dinner"||"If You Love Me, Why Am I Dyin'?"||"I'm Alive and on Fire"|
|"Me and the Devil"||"I Wish I Was the Moon"||"Cold Grey Light of Dawn"||"Spellbound"|
|"Let's Get Out of Here"||"Burning Down the House"||"Soul of Fire"||"And When I Die"|
|Season five appearances|
|"Turn! Turn! Turn!"||"Authority Always Wins"||"Whatever I Am, You Made Me"||"We’ll Meet Again"|
|"Let's Boot and Rally"||"Hopeless"||"In the Beginning"||"Somebody That I Used to Know"|
|"Everybody Wants to Rule the World"||"Gone, Gone, Gone"||"Sunset"||"Save Yourself"|
|Season six appearances|
|"Who Are You, Really?"||"The Sun"||"You're No Good"||"At Last"|
|"F**k the Pain Away"||"Don't You Feel Me"||"In the Evening"||"Dead Meat"|
|Season seven appearances|
|"Jesus Gonna Be Here"||"I Found You"||"Fire in the Hole"||"Death is Not the End"|
|"Lost Cause"||"Karma"||"May Be the Last Time"||"Almost Home"|
|"Love is to Die"||"Thank You"|